Carolina Shrimp and Grits
Ingredients For Shrimp
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 lb unpeeled medium raw shrimp
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) cans fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 3/4 cup shredded 2% reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Over medium heat cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet for 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, crumble, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tsp drippings in skillet.
- Peel shrimp and devein, if desired.
- Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper; then dredge in flour.
- Sauté mushrooms in hot bacon drippings with oil in skillet 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add green onions, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes or until shrimp are lightly browned.
- Stir in chicken broth, lemon juice, and hot sauce, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet.
- Spoon shrimp mixture over hot Cheese Grits; sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Bring first 3 ingredients and 1 1/3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheese and next 3 ingredients.